Republican Texans listen to Coldplay. Should we say that again?!
Specifically they can’t get enough of the 2000 hit record Parachutes, on Vinyl. Now, we’re not sure if it’s the bands elegant melodies, classic guitars, Chris Martins ‘liberal’ beliefs on climate change, immigration and vocal support for organisations such as Global Citizen (we thinks not), or maybe just his love of a true American girl in Jennifer Lawrence (more likely) that connects with the good people of Texas, but something has got them going all gooey at the knees for Coldplay. We always suspected real men, hard-working gritty men, salt-of-the-earth blue-collar types, listen to Coldplay, but fellas loosen them buckles because now there’s no need to hide it!
That is according to recent research into the State by State sales figures of Vinyl records from some of the largest retailers around, eBay and Amazon. Yes, we took the 23 states which voted overwhelmingly (above 50%) in favor of Trump and analysed their purchase history of vinyl in 2016. The results, listed below, were somewhat surprising.
Maybe less surprising was that The Rolling Stones , who remain universally popular across all political divides, topped the charts with their 1973 record, Goats Head Soup. The record topped the charts across 5 states: South Dakota, Nebraska, Kentucky, Kansas and Georgia.
Another somewhat surprising entry was that of the British indie band Arctic Monkeys who came in 2nd overall and topped the lot in all of South Carolina, Montana and Mississippi.
So here it is, the definitive list of Vinyl purchases in overwhelmingly pro Republican states, in 2016;
- Goats Head Soup – The Rolling Stones = 5 (South Dakota, Nebraska, Kentucky, Kansas, Georgia)
- AM – Artic Monkeys = 3 (South Carolina, Montana, Mississippi)
- Lazaretto – Jack White = 2 (Indiana, Louisiana)
- Fas – Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum – Deathspell Omega = 2 (Tennessee, West Virginia)
- Parachutes – Coldplay = 1 (Texas!)
- Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits — Fleetwood Mac = 1 (Oklahoma)
- Rumours – Fleetwood Mac = 1 (Rumors)
- Band of Gypsy’s – Jimi Hendrix = 1 (North Dakota)
- Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath = 1 (Ohio)
- Dirt – Alice in Chains = 1
- Random Access Memories – Daft Punk = 1 (Missouri)
- Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morissette = 1 (Iowa)
- Lateralus – Tool = 1 (Alabama)
- Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band – The Beatles = 1 (Arkansas)
Any of the above can be purchased here.